An anti-cheat service is an essential part of any online game like Fortnite. The anti-cheat service runs several algorithms in the background of your gameplay. This ensures that neither you nor anyone playing against you is using some kind of mod or cheat. Cheats are popular and used to gain an extra advantage over other players. Various cheats include targeting bots and telling the locations of other players. Who will listen if using cheats is uncourageous?
Fortnite uses anti-cheat services to eliminate any cheating. If your service is down, you won’t be able to play the game unless you have the service up and running. Fortnite launch error 20006 is also known as an anti-cheat-service error. This error occurs if the game detects a problem with the anti-cheat.sys file or the anti-cheat service. There are simple solutions to this problem. In this text, let’s see how to fix launch error 20006 in Fortnite.
1. Set EasyAntiCheat Service To Automatic:
One of the easiest solutions you can try to fix the Fortnite error is to set the EasyAntiCheat service status to automatic. This allows the service to start automatically and verify the game files. Some recent app installations or Windows updates may have changed the start state of the service.
To change the startup type of a service, follow these steps:
- Open the Run dialog by pressing Win + R.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to start the services console.
- In the list of available services, locate the EasyAntiCheat service.
- Double-click on the EasyAntiCheat service to enable the properties for the service.
- Under Startup Type, change the value to Automatic from the drop-down box if it was previously set to Manual.
- Now, restart your game. Fortnite should now be able to run normally on your device.
2. Verify The Location Of The EasyAntiCheat On Your Computer:
Another solution posted on the Steam forum is related to Epic Games Launcher misdiagnosing the architecture of the CPU, thus leading to incorrect installation of the EasyAntiCheat application. Fixing this is easy as you just need to copy the EasyAntiCheat.exe file to the correct location on your computer.
To do so, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer. You can use the Win + E keyboard shortcut.
- Navigate to the following folder:
- Here, locate the EasyAntiCheat.exe file and copy the file.
- Next, navigate to the following folder:
- Here, paste the EasyAntiCheat.exe file you just copied.
- Restart your computer.
- This should fix the Fortnite error code 20006 on your Windows 10 device and you will be able to play the game normally on your device.
3. Verify The Game Installation:
Most online stores have a game verification option. This feature is used to check for broken or missing game files. If the scanner finds such broken files, the latest version of these files will be downloaded from the appropriate servers. The Steam Store has this feature. Epic Games also has this feature in the Fortnite launcher and you can use this feature to check for any broken or missing game files on your laptop. To check for missing files using the built-in verification feature, follow these steps:
- Open the main executable file of Fortnite. You should find a shortcut on your desktop or you can also find the option in the Start menu.
- Next to the launch button, you will find a cog icon. Click on this cog icon to reveal a hidden context menu.
- From the context menu, click Verify to check for any missing game files.
- Wait for the process to complete. You need to go through the process of downloading missing or corrupted files from the Epic Games server again.
- The entire process will take about 10 minutes to finish verifying your game files.
Start the game after the verification is done. Your Fortnite error code 20006 should now be fixed.
4. Repair The EasyAntiCheat Service:
The EasyAntiCheat service is used by your gaming purpose and many other stores to detect hackers and cheaters on the platform. This is done to prevent users from taking unfair advantage of others using malicious means. The service may break at times and you need to repair the said service to fix Fortnite launch error 20006.
To repair the EasyAntiCheat service, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Search. You can use Win + S keyboard shortcut.
- Type Fortnite in the input field.
- In the right pane, you will notice additional settings. Here, click on Open File Location.
- Usually, the default location is C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Fortnite.
- Once you enter the Fortnite folder, navigate to the following path
- Fortnite game > Binaries > Win64/Win32 (depending on your OS) > EasyAntiCheat.
- Inside this, you should see the EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe file. Right-click this folder and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Select Yes at any User Account Control prompt.
- Make sure the option next to Fortnite is checked. Click on the Repair Service button.
- Wait for the installer to finish repairing the EasyAntiCheat service. You will see a ‘Successfully installed’ message indicating that the service has been repaired.
- Now restart the Fortnite game to check if you can play the game. Fortnite error code 20006 should now be fixed.
If you play Fortnite regularly, you will get very annoyed when you see launch errors on your computer. Now you know how to fix Fortnite error code 20006 using the solutions provided above. Comment below if you find it useful and discuss more it. If you have any doubts regarding this guide please feel free to comment in the comment box.